<$BlogRSDURL$>
Jewish, Jewish, Everywhere, & not a drop to drink
Sunday, August 31, 2003
 
Talking about...

L :
hi, are you busy?
SimShalom :
hi, no, go ahead..
L :
just thought to say hi, good to see you back.
Hey, LOL, what is the complete meaning of the term schmuck? Phonetic spelling of course. It always pays to know if people know what it is they are actually saying. Sort of like the toddler who picks up bad words and doesn't know the meaning.
SimShalom :
exactly.
the word actually is a vulgarism for "penis"...denoting a guy with a kinda "sloppy tail"....the word "pots" Or "putz" means the same...so it's best not to use it when you want to remain on friendly terms with someone..unless they can "handle" a jocular usage of the word/s
L :
LOL, it just occurred to me to look in the dictionary. Looks like the Yiddish equivalent of the F word.L :
Well, I knew it wasn't complementary, I was pleased to find that I had used the term prig correctly in reference to a school counselor. She set me off.

SimShalom :
not really..there is no real Yiddish for the "F" word, some use "yents"..there may be a whole bunch of related words all derived from the various languages and ethnicities where Jews may have come from in Europe

L:
yes, the F word is an "action" word, schmuck is not.

SimShalom :
i guess
L:
LOLOL! You poor thing, I can ask some of the most obnoxious questions. Probably because I'm not there in persn, but then, that might not stop me if I really want to know something.

How are you?
SimShalom :
good thanks.
you ask perfectly good questions, that are almost all excellent...you are a real thinker...with lots of intellectual curiosity and clarity of expression, so I enjoy chatting with you...really!
L:
Did I interrupt your newspaper reading? I am so disgusted with the killing of the Shiite (sp) Muslims while worshipping. What does Egypt think now about those people they have been protecting?
SimShalom :
I wasn't doing anything important...just logged on...in the middle east it's always one Arab state or another that is not acting rationally, that is actually their modus operandi...they are a little "out of it" shall we say..what with all their worries ranging from belly dancers, martyrs, and camels all over the place...and all that gooey oil under their feet that they charge the world a mint for...otherwise they are not much to write home about
L :
Well, my hope is that we will get some sense finally and put them out of business by developing other energy sources. One of the first things President Bush did the first year in office was to fund hydrogen fuel research.

SimShalom :
it's gonna take a while, looks like we are a"married" to oil fuels, the fossil fuels for the next hundred years
L :
What I notice is that middle eastern people let their egos get in the way so badly that they think differently from Americans. That isn't to say Americans don't have stupid egos, but our forefathers were big on humility and at least some of it "took".
SimShalom :
the Arabs are very emotional people..very strong imaginations that they let take over themselves
L:
More emotional than ego? Today I bought a DVD of Simon and Garfunkel. Garfunkel looks Jewish to me. Do you know if he is?
SimShalom :
both of those dudes were Jewish, from Queens, New York
L:
Well, their Jewish training shows in the quality of their thinking when they wrote their lyrics. They are awesome.
SimShalom :
they had no real Jewish training that I know of..they were just talented souls
L:
Garfunkel in particular looks like an extremely sensitive individual. VERY talented. I miss quality lyrics like theirs. This was of their concert in the park from the mid '80's. They are almost 60 by now I think.. Much older than you and I. It's hard to believe.
L:
Any chance you were there?
SimShalom :
there are other talents today...like Jlo and co
L :
I don't know those. Who are they?
SimShalom :
Jennifer Lopez and Britney and Celine Dion..what planet are you on?
SimShalom :
etc etc etc
L :
There are a couple of Christian artists who are as deep with their lyrics if not deeper. Michael Card and John Michael Talbot. Actually, I live on the classical planet. There are no lyrics there unless you listen to opera. (not me, can't stand most opera)
SimShalom :
I get it
L :
I keep hearing Christian commentaries bellyache about the increasing tempo that young people (including me) enjoy in their Christian music. I don't think it's anything new. The classical music absolutely gallops. It is all young violinists dream to be able to play very fast so that they can keep up with those tempos.

SimShalom :
mixing the needs of religion with the development of music is not always a good combo
L :
needs of religion?
SimShalom :
religion wanting to be "cool" and incorporate from current musical trends creates an "artificiality"...I think
L :
For me, it is not a need to be "cool". It is a need to engage the heart and express a passion for God.
L :
God gave us music to express our emotions. You cannot have music without emotion.
SimShalom :
ive seen some of those christian minstrels on TV, they can be good, but they are not "where it's at" in terms of where music is coming from today...
L :
When you pay $55.00 to $150.00 to see a musician, it is because you want the technical expertise that allows the expression of emotion. We pay these people to bare their souls.

I do not watch TV evangelists. They are not usually Christians of good repute. They are simply money collectors.
SimShalom :
I mean the actual musicians who are not the preachers
L :
where is music coming from today?
SimShalom :
the cellar, actually the "underground"
SimShalom :

L :
You mean the trend towards bathroom behavior in American culture?
SimShalom :
trend? its a tidal wave, and we have drowned many years ago...
SimShalom :
i see that there are a lot of oriental classical musicians today
L :
with you and occasionally . Sometimes I think it is a reaction to the Victorian thinking that prevented the expression of thoughts. In my house saying fart was likely to be almost a greater sin than taking the Lord's name in vain.
SimShalom :
Oh i agree with those old time morals, just they are just so impractical today...we are fighting and aids epidemic and a herpes pandemic so the little nasty words are minor irritants
L :
Yes, there are many Asian musicians. I think primarily with thanks due to Dr. Shinichi Suzuki. The Asian culture has the discipline instilled in it's people that they have a high degree of success in the area of music. When they become Americanized they will succeed less, I think.

Old time morals are good, but children need to be able to talk about things that are important to them. If they cannot tell you about the little things, they certainly won't trust you with the big stuff, the stuff you Really want to know about.
L :
If we can't even mention passing gas, we certainly aren't going to discuss sex.
SimShalom :
well the price of gas has been going up... ...and has sex been getting any dearer?
L :
No, but I do hope that "children" are engaging in less of it. I'm not sure they are though. When I get out in the "real" world, the hope seems a bit far fetched. My own son has decided not to date for now. That's just fine with me.
SimShalom :
i agree, there is no point in rushing into reckless love relationships...and there is more sex than ever going on out there
L :
Sex will become dearer when people understand that it is special and for a couple of very special reasons. Not recreation . That is why I like the Jewish concept that sex is holy.
SimShalom :
you mean the Torah, or Orthodox Judaism's view of it...most secular Jews are very loose with their sexual morals...
L :
Well it's too bad! They are losing out in the end even though they don't realize it. It's one of those "G-d things" that doesn't make sense. G'd's way gives freedom. Those who do not accept G-d's way for lack of understanding and cannot follow on faith alone, end up enslaved to circumstances.
L :
Not having sex whenever one feels like it seems like a lack of freedom.
SimShalom :
well sex is an urge that needs to be channeled...just as uncontrolled eating leads to health problems, likewise uncontrolled sex leads to its own set of consequences...it is one thing that needs a framework within broader religious system it actually is possible to create this structure...otherwise it's all wild hell out there...
L :
Some night we'll talk about that framework. I would like to now except that it's time for bed now. I promised a friend I would be on time to church and sit by her. She hasn't been to church in awhile. She is what my husband calls a CEO, "Christmas and Easter Only".
SimShalom :
Good, so have good night, and happy services tomorrow..nice talking to you as always
L :
Thanks! It was a fun night.
SimShalom :
ok

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Site Meter Globe of Blogs BLOGGERNITY of Judaism_Section (PALTALK) JEW From Wikipedia